EU Blue Card

Would you like to live and work in Germany, a member state of the European Union?

Living and working abroad has become an attractive perspective for many, and proper academic degree is the key to successful immigration. But also this includes fulfilling several legal requirements, such as having a visa.
In 2012, as a result of the adoption of the Transposition Law for the European Union Directive on Highly Qualified Employment (Directive 2009/50 / EC), the EU Blue Card for Germany was introduced as a new residence permit (in accordance with Section §§ 18 subsection 4, 18b subsection 2 German Residence Act – Aufenthaltsgesetz – AufenthG)
The EU Blue Card is an accredited work permit specifically designed for highly qualified citizens from non-EU countries who want to work and live in Germany.

Legal basis and preconditions:

To receive the EU Blue Card, applicants must have the following prerequisites:

  • A diploma of higher education with a term of study of at least three years and with the award of a specialist or master’s degree. If the diploma was not obtained in Germany, then it must either be approved by the state or correspond to the German diploma of this specialty (section 18 b, subsection 2 Residence Act).
  • Availability of an employment contract or job offer from a German employer corresponding to qualifications
  • The minimum annual gross salary in year 2020 should be at least 43.056 euros for positions with shortage of specialists (scientists, mathematicians, engineers, doctors and specialists in the field of information technology), and for other professions will be annually 55.200 €.

If applicants can prove this level of income, then the consent of the Federal Employment Agency (§ 18 subsection 2 No. 2 in essence to § 39 subsection 1 residence act) is no longer required to get the EU Blue Card. The wage threshold is adjusted annually based on changes in national wages.

At the first issue, the term of the Blue Card is limited to a maximum of four years (§18 subsection 4 residence act). If the employment contract is shorter than four years, a residence permit is issued for a period limited by the duration of the employment contract, plus three months.

Who is responsible? To whom can I turn to obtain an EU Blue Card or information about it?

Depending on your current situation, there are different ways to go about applying for the EU Blue Card. Citizens who are already residing in Germany and are in possession of a different residence title, can contact the immigration office responsible for their place of residence, for further information.

Candidates from non-EU states are obligated to first apply for a residence/work permit, which can be obtained at the German Embassy in their home country. Upon arrival in Germany, an application for the EU Blue Card must be made at the designated immigration office.

In any case, individuals must apply for the EU Blue Card before the initial Visa expires.